HAIR TRANSPLANTATION POST‐OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS
PRE AND POST CARE INSTRUCTIONS
Your surgeon has developed the following post‐operative instructions. Please read and follow them carefully as they are intended to help you maximize the results of your hair transplant surgery.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office at
Start taking medications as prescribed the evening of your surgery.
All medications must be taken with food one hour apart from each other.
- This is taken to prevent a scalp infection. Complete the full antibiotic course as directed on the package.
- This is an anti‐swelling medication. Take as directed. NEVER take this medication on an empty stomach as it can cause extreme nausea and upset stomach. (1 dose a day = 4 tabs at the same time)
- For discomfort. Take as directed. Do not take the pain medication if you will be working, driving, or operating any machinery due to possible drowsiness. Do NOT take with alcohol. You may, however, take an aspirin‐free medication such as regular or extra strength Tylenol.
Do NOT take any of the following for 5 days:
- Any medication that contains Aspirin or Ibuprofen
- Spicy food
- Vitamin E (found in most multi‐vitamins)
- Fish oil
If you have never used Rogaine (Minoxidil), you may start on day 10. If you have been using Rogaine, you may resume 3‐5 days after your surgery, but ONLY to the area where there are no grafts.
Arnica may be used to help with swelling, bruising, aches and pain. Arnica tablets should be started at least 3‐4 days to prior to procedure to prevent post‐op swelling. *Arnica Montana gel can also be applied to the forehead and temple areas hourly in the first day postoperatively and for the following 3‐4 days applying 3‐5 times daily.
Slight bleeding or oozing may occur from the donor area. We recommend placing a clean towel on your pillow for the first several nights. If bleeding occurs, apply firm pressure with gauze or a clean cloth to the area for 10‐ 15 minutes. If bleeding persists after 15 minutes of pressure, please contact our office.
may continue your normal regimen.
you may start taking Vitamin C 24 hours after surgery for up to 2 weeks to minimize forehead swelling and bruising.
Please see instruction sheet.
For ten days after your procedure, refrain from any strenuous activities that could increase your blood pressure such as running, jogging, weight lifting, and sexual activities. (When picking up items from the floor, be sure to bend at your knees while keeping your back straight to avoid having your head go below the level of your heart.). The increased pressure may cause grafts to pop out.
This is a surgical procedure and swelling does occur. It is part of the healing process. The degree of swelling varies with each patient from mild to pronounced.
To minimize swelling, you should do the following starting the night of surgery:
- Take medication as directed (if prescribed).
- Apply the gel ice pack to your forehead (for 20 minutes every two hours while awake)
- Perform forehead massage every time after icing with firm pressure moving the fluid from the center of your forehead out toward both of your ears. Do this for at least 3‐4 minutes.
- Keep your head elevated at eye level when using cell phone, computer, reading, etc. to prevent additional swelling of your face.
- Sleep with your head elevated at a 45‐degree‐angle for the first 3-4 nights following surgery. This can be done by sleeping in a recliner or by using at least 2‐3 pillows to support your back and neck in bed. (Expect swelling to peak on or around the 3rd day after surgery).
- If significant swelling persists after 3 days, discontinue the ice and change to warm compresses on the forehead. Also continue with forehead massages each time afterwards.
After shampooing hair, you may comb hair with light‐to‐moderate strokes (without touching the scalp in the grafted area). NEVER use force.
- Do NOT use any products on grafted area for 5 days.
- You may use a blow dryer. It should be on the coolest setting and a few inches away from scalp. (Preferably 3‐5 days after procedure)
- Haircuts can be done 2 weeks after surgery.
- Hair color can be performed after 5‐6 weeks.
- Toppik can be used after 7 days. It should always be washed off.
**Please direct any scalp problems to our Medical Staff (eg. itching, ingrown hairs, and flaking), so proper treatment can be provided.
- DO NOT scratch or pick at the crusts (scabs) for 5 days, because you may accidentally remove a graft or cause an infection. To enhance the scabs falling off naturally, starting on the sixth day, conditioner may be applied to the transplanted area for 10‐15 minutes before shampooing. Massage the conditioner for a few minutes before washing it off. This will cause the crusts (scabs) to soften and then FALL off. This process should be done until all the scabs have fallen off.
- Allow the grafted area to be exposed to as much air as possible. If you will be in the sunlight for more than 10 minutes during the next 3 months, you should protect the grafts by wearing a non‐constricting hat starting after the third day following surgery. Ten days after surgery, you may use sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher, but make sure that you wash off all sunscreen at the end of the day. Avoid tanning for 3 months. (Hairpieces and wigs should only be worn if completely necessary, but only after 1 full week after surgery.)
*If a graft is accidentally knocked or combed out, immediately place the graft in a solution of salt and water, then refrigerate. Please call our office.
- See attached Post-Operative Instructions: Folican graft enhancement treatment or salt water soak instructions.
- Fine nerve-endings may be cut during each procedure. This will result in decreased sensitivity or numbness to both the donor and recipient areas. This usually subsides over a period of 6 to 8 months, but can persist for greater than 12 months.
Should be removed between 10‐14 days. No sooner, no later. If you are visiting from out‐of‐town, you should contact your Primary Care Provider to make an appointment for suture removal. Please disregard if you had an FUE procedure.
With the help of Ziering Medical, you will learn all there is to know about what causes hair loss and discover the best solution for you. Click below to schedule a consultation.